According to Basil Jeuda in his book Rudyard Reflections: "The Hotel Rudyard started as a water bailiff's cottage when the reservoir was constructed and if one looks carefully from the car park one can still discern part of the original cottage.
"There were several extensions and alterations over the years, the most important being in 1906/07 with the addition of another storey, and the difference in the way in which the stone has weathered is clearly visible from the front of the hotel.
"The outbuildings, which date back to at least 1873, have, in days gone by, seen use as a mortuary where people who had drowned in the lake were laid out.
"Red Cottage and Lilac Cottage are other examples of surviving 18th Century cottages.
"Beyond the hotel car park on the right can be seen the replacement water bailiff's house, built in 1852, facing which is the 18th Century Yew Tree Cottage.
"The road from the Poacher's Tavern was described in 1851 as 'rough craggy' a condition which can be seen in postcards of the Edwardian era.
"It was here that Brassington's built a cafe c1930 and continued in business until the mid 1980s.
"Facing the hotel car park was Kingswood, a small village store opened by Tommy Stone in 1923, it was demolished in the 1980s to be replaced by new houses."