Login Register

Warning after garage fire

By Cheadle Post and Times  |  Posted: April 16, 2014

Comments (0)

A MAN had to be taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a garage in Cheadle.

Fire crews from Ipstones and Longton attended the incident which took place in Goodwood Avenue, Cheadle, on Wednesday, April 9, at 4.05pm.

A spokesman from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said: "Crews attended the garage fire and two firefighters with breathing apparatus entered the property.

"An ambulance was called for a man who was suffering from smoke inhalation and he was taken to University Hospital of North Staffordshire.

"The fire, which had started accidentally, was extinguished with one hose reel jet and fire crews left the scene at around 6pm."

Prevent Officer Jim Taaffe said: "This incident, which could have been far more serious, was caused by welding work being carried out in a domestic garage in cramped conditions.

"Prior to firefighters arriving the man tried to tackle the fire using a garden hose, this was unsuccessful and he ended up with smoke inhalation as a result. We would urge people to never try to tackle fire themselves – instead get out, stay out and dial 999.

"The Easter bank holiday is traditionally a time for DIY and so we'd urge people to carry out their work safely – make sure your working environment is suitable for the type of work you need to do."

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES