Login Register

Warning after E-Cigarette explodes

By Cheadle Post and Times  |  Posted: April 03, 2014

Comments (1)

A WARNING has been issued about leaving E-Cigarettes on charge after reports of them exploding.

Firefighters are warning people not to leave e-cigarettes on charge for long periods of time following recent incidents where the devices have exploded.

One crew from Cheadle was called to a property in Conway Grove at 7pm on Saturday, March 29.

The residents had left their e-cigarette on charge for approximately nine hours causing it to overheat and part of it to shoot out of the plug.

A similar incident happened on Thursday, March 27, at Trent Business Park, Power Station Road in Lichfield.

A device had been left on charge for a number of hours and exploded.

Firefighters from Lichfield attended the incident shortly after midday.

A further case occurred at a property on Rumer Hill Road, Cannock, during the early hours of March 7

In each case, the e-cigarettes caused some items in the room to smoulder but the fires were out when the crew arrived.

Technical Fire Safety and Fire Investigation Lead Paul Shaw said: “E-cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular and, with more people using the devices, we are seeing a rise in the number of incidents related to them.

“The people involved in all of these cases were very lucky that the fires did not take hold – the situation could have been a lot worse. I would urge people never to leave their e-cigarette on charge while they are away from the house or asleep and to always follow the manufacturers’ guidance when charging the device.”

In an emergency dial 999. For all other non-emergency enquiries contact: 08451 22 11 55 or log onto: www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk or www.direct.gov.uk/firekills.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • ecartak808  |  April 03 2014, 1:41PM

    This advice should be applied to anything that is left on charge for lengthy periods of time

    Rate   1
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES