Login Register

Valiant on right lines but Hoppers are knocked out

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: December 04, 2013

Comments (0)

THE WEEKEND saw six Leek & District Sunday League sides battle it out in the latter stages of the Macclesfield Cup.

Both Vale Hoppers and Valiant faced opposition from the Macclesfield League at home to Queens and Railway View respectively.

Queens currently sit top of the league unbeaten and showed their strength in hitting last year's finalists for six.

The visitors scored their first goal from a corner but their next two goals came from defensive lapses.

Queens bagged their fourth goal before half-time before Josh Reddish reduced the arrears for Hoppers. The second half was a lot closer but Queens clinically dispatched two goals more past before the end.

In contrast, Hoppers Veterans had a better day, beating Westland 1-0 – the only goal of the game coming from Chris Riley.

Valiant comfortably beat Railway Inn, smashing seven past them to book their place in the next round.

The damage was done in the first half with Valiant starting off the quicker of the two sides and netted five times in the opening 33 minutes.

Strikes from Richard Smith, Joel Dawson, Lee McNicholas and a brace from Rocky Dunn-Fox established a comfortable half-time lead for the hosts.

Valiant took their foot off the accelerator in the second half. Even so, McNicholas scored his second goal of the game and former Valiant goalkeeper Billy Sheldon finished off the rout.

Elmos Celtic were awarded their tie against Hare & Gate Strollers after the opposition was unable to raise a team.

Valiant Troggs looked to have the easiest of tasks facing Poynton Legion, who currently sit bottom of division two in the East Cheshire Sunday Football League.

Troggs raced into a three-goal lead going into the break, thanks to a brace from Mike Keates and goals from George Mealey and Joel Mason.

Matt Fairhurst replied for Poynton but Troggs continued the second half where they left off, bagging a further three goals through Josh Johnson and Keates (2), who took his tally to four for the game.

Poynton looked like a beaten team but gained some consolation when Dan Lawlor netted an own goal.

Leek Snooker Centre had a tricky tie against Peover from the East Cheshire League first division.

Snooker Centre found themselves a goal behind at half-time as Peover's star striker James Irlam netted to give them the lead. Alex Oxford then scored twice in five minutes to increase Peover's lead.

Andy Mayer grabbed a consolation goal for Snooker Centre with five minutes to go.

Only two league games were played due to the numerous cup commitments.

Tenth-placed Dyers Arms were at home to eighth-placed Railway Inn and fifth-placed Bayern Red Lion played host to Waterhouses, currently 12th

Dyers faced an in-form Railway Inn side who had not lost in their last three league games, picking up seven out of the nine points available.

Dyers player-manager Dan Johnson did an incredible job to get a seemingly unplayable pitch fit for use.

The first half saw both teams create good chances without finding the back of the net.

Railway eventually went ahead in the second half from the penalty spot after 55 minutes.

Craig Naylor was fouled in the box and Ben Wilde stepped up to score.

Dyers fought back and were awarded a penalty themselves 10 minutes later, which Andy Graham slotted home.

Railway regained the lead following a great cross from Dave Harvey that found Ben Wilde.

Dyers threw caution to the wind and pushed Johnson up front to give them an extra man in attack. The move paid off when Lee Harrop was harassed into heading the ball into the back of his own net.

Bayern Red Lion were looking to put their previous week's defeat at the hands of league leaders Valiant behind them when they took on Waterhouses.

Waterhouses went ahead after 22 minutes through Jake Binns. But their lead did not last long, as Red Lion got back on level terms five minutes later through Ryan Shenton.

Red Lion went ahead through James Brough following a goalmouth scramble.

Shortly after the break, Red Lion's midfield playmaker broke down the left and confidently hit the ball home past the approaching Waterhouses keeper.

Red Lion thought that they had done enough to win the game but Waterhouses had other ideas and refused to be beaten.

Two goals in quick succession from Phillip Salt and Bryan Mycock put Waterhouses back on level terms to take a share of the points.


Fixtures, December 8

Staffordshire FA Sunday Premier Cup

Rugeley Utd v Elmos Celtic (Jonathon Bell, Douglas Stanley, Ian Oakes)

Staffs FA Sunday Challenge Cup

Valiant v Polonia Stoke (Mark Woodcock)


Waterhouses v Ash Inn (Anthony Knight); Wellington Utd v Biddulph Town Diamonds (Jack Birch); Wellington v Hare & Gate Strollers (Ant Roden); Valiant Troggs v Dyers Arms (James Smith);

Leek Snooker Centre v Vale Hoppers (Alex Perkin).

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters