Login Register
 °

Staffordshire fire service warns people to dispose of portable barbecues safely after fire in Milford, near Stafford, which spread to Cannock Chase

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: August 06, 2014

  • The portable barbecue which started the fire

  • Firefighters tackle the fire at Cannock Chase

  • The smouldering undergrowth at Cannock Chase

Comments (0)

Firefighters are urging people to dispose of barbecues in a safe and sensible way following a fire at a Staffordshire beauty spot.

The blaze at Main Road, in Milford, near Stafford, broke out when a disposable barbecue tray - which was still smoking - was carelessly thrown into the undergrowth.

The fire spread rapidly due to the vegetation on Cannock Chase and quickly covered an area of 30 metres by 20 metres.

One crew from Stafford and the specialist all-terrain vehicle from Cannock attended the incident at approximately 12.35pm on Thursday, July 31. They used a high pressure jet to put out the fire before leaving the scene shortly after 2pm.

Related content

Station Manager Neil Pedersen said: “People need to be aware of the damage that can be caused if they discard disposable barbecues that are, to all intents and purposes, still lit. This type of incident can have devastating consequences on wildlife living in the area as well as on members of the public and firefighters who are tackling the blaze.

“It can also divert much needed resources away from potentially life threatening situations. I would urge people to think before they act and to ensure these items are disposed of in a safe and sensible manner.”

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES