Login Register
 °

Staffordshire Fire Service warns about cooking after chip pan fire in Biddulph

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: April 24, 2014

Comments (0)

Firefighters are urging people to be careful when cooking following a chip pan fire in Biddulph.

A crew from Sandyford and one from Hanley attended the incident at Gardeners Close around 2.30pm yesterday.

A chip pan had been left on a lit camping stove. A 72-year-old male led his 71-year-old wife to safety outside the property after being alerted to the fire when the smoke detectors activated.

However, the man returned inside the house and attempted to tackle the blaze. He was treated by paramedics at the scene for burns and smoke inhalation before being taken to hospital.

Related content

Firefighters wearing four sets of breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire. They left the scene at 6.05pm.

Station Manager Ed Case, who was in charge of the incident, said: “This incident could have been much worse if the property had not been fitted with working smoke alarms which were able to alert the couple to the fire. They had a lucky escape but the male occupant put himself in significant danger by returning to the kitchen and attempting to extinguish the blaze. I would urge people never to take that course of action. Once you have left the premises, call the fire service immediately and do not go back inside. The blaze is also a reminder of how vital it is to test your smoke alarms regularly, ensuring that they are in good working order and capable of activating in the case of an emergency. Taking just a few seconds every week to check your detectors could save your life.”

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES