Login Register

Staffordshire County Senior League Premier Division - Uttoxeter Town 2 Cheadle Town 1

By Cheadle Post and Times  |  Posted: March 12, 2014

Comments (0)

CHEADLE Town came away from the Oldfields ground bitterly disappointed, but they can hold their heads high after producing a performance that deserved at least a point.

The visitors had battled hard against the league leaders and took the lead, only to be beaten by a disputed equaliser and a goal scored in the eighth minute of added time.

Alex Wood went close for Cheadle in the 12th minute after being put through by Dan Rooksby, his low shot curling wide of the far post. Uttoxeter threatened through James Curley but a great tackle from Charlie Goldstraw took the ball away from the opposition's leading scorer as he was about to strike.

Wood had a good chance in the 26th minute, after receiving the ball on the edge of the goal area, but his shot ball high and wide.

Adam Cartlidge was winning all the high balls aimed into the Cheadle goal area as Uttoxeter won a series of corner kicks.

Uttoxeter changed tactics to try and keep their corner kicks short.

A well-struck free kick from Lee Bagley curled beyond the Cheadle defence and Harry Price headed just wide in the 40th minute.

A good exchange between Chris Coleman and Smith looked promising until a great tackle by Goldstraw took the ball away from Coleman's feet.

Another tackle from Jake Alcock prevented Coleman from making progress on the right side of the goal area. Alcock then fed Mark Kent in the Uttoxeter goal area, only for the latter to waste an opportunity in attempting to work himself into a better shooting position.

A wonderful strike from Alcock in the 51st minute forced a brilliant save from Langridge.

Cheadle kept up their attack and Lee Bagley was forced to play the ball to his keeper under threat from Alcock.

A poor kick was picked up by Kent, who carried on moving forward, only to see his shot blocked by Langridge and the ball spin away out of Kent's reach.

Cheadle's momentum persisted and the Uttoxeter defence began to make careless mistakes.

Cheadle got the goal their efforts deserved in the 65th minute when a long ball from Cartildge was raced onto by Wood to beat the advancing Langridge.

Uttoxeter drew level with a hotly-disputed goal in the 75th minute.

Matt Anthony dived low to get his hand on a loose ball, but it was kicked away by a Uttoxeter player and Cartlidge, in attempting to clear, sliced the ball into his own net.

Cheadle appealed for a foul on the keeper but after a consulting with his linesman, the referee allowed the goal to stand.

Cheadle refused to be rattled and battled right up to the end.

But with the end, and a draw, in sight, Uttoxeter snatched the winner from the penalty spot after Goldstraw was penalised for bringing down his man when stretching to tackle.

Bagley stepped up to fire into the bottom corner from the spot and Cheadle hearts were broken.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters