STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is warning parents to make sure that smoking materials such as lighters and matches are out the reach of children.
The warning comes following two incidents that fire crews have attended recently, both involving fires that have been started due to children playing with matches.
The first incident happened on July 8 when a call was received at 7.55pm reporting a fire on Normacot Road in Longton.
Fire and rescue crews from Hanley and Longton attended the incident which involved a first floor flat that was well alight.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets and one main jet to tackle the fire.
Several people were evacuated from the property.
The cause of the fire is believed to be children playing with matches.
The incident was closed at 11.22pm.
The following day at 8.12pm a call was received reporting a fire on Douglas Road in Stafford.
The incident involved a fire in a hallway of a property.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to tackle the fire.
The cause of the fire is believed to be due to a child setting fire to a candle at the bottom of the stairs.
The incident was closed at 10.16pm.
Risk Reduction Manager Glynn Luznyj said: “As the school holidays are approaching, children will be spending more time in and around the home. We urge parents to make sure that lighters and matches are always out the reach of children.
“Fires can spread very quickly causing severe damage to a property and could lead to far more serious situation.”