Login Register

Rugby - Emphatic victory points to progress

By MIG: Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: February 27, 2013

Comments (0)

Leek 78 Aston Old Eds 8

LEEK showed how much they have improved as a club with an emphatic victory over Aston Old Eds at the weekend.

Aston arrived in confident mood, visiting following a couple of back-to-back wins. Leek started slowly and after 10 mins were 0-3 down.

That setback seemed to spur Leek into action, with Ed Harrison catching the ball and passing to Ian Harris to score in the corner to take a 5-3 lead – the difficult kick was missed.

After 25 minutes Leek, won the line-out from the 20 metre area and with a great angled run from centre, Hunt smashed his way through the Aston defence and went to score under the posts. Green scored the easy conversion for Leek to take a 12-3 lead.

Again from the kick-off, lock Harrison caught the ball and with a swerving run made around 50 metres until he was forced into the 20 metre area.

From the resulting work, Green stole the ball to pass to Mcdermott, who again scored under the posts, with Green converting.

Leek went onto to score two further tries and conversions before the half-time break.

After the interval, the home team continued to dominate, becoming more clinical in their excecution of passing and running rugby.

During the second half Leek scored further tries from Palmer, Green, Naz and Mcdermott. Aston remained focused, though, and were rewarded with a try in the last five minutes of the game.

Head coach Ian Gittens said: “We kept focused on the game and each week we are able to improve and use the whole squad to play our style of rugby.”

Due to other games being postponed Leek have moved into third place in the league. This Saturday, they face a major test at home to Wolverhampton.

Leek Under 10s 6 Uttoxeter Under 10s 4

A GOOD crowd was entertained by strong rugby from both sides. Uttoxeter put out a big, powerful and speedy side and from the off took the game to Leek. However, Leek’s defence and rucking was of the highest quality and Uttoxeter’s big runners had no joy.

Leek took the lead with two tries from Hayden Heath, while Dominic Winwood outsprinted the Uttoxeter defence for a fine score in the corner.

Uttoxeter fought back but Leek won the first match three tries to two.

The second game was very much a carbon copy of the first, with Leek defending well and their extra pace proving too much for Uttoxeter. Hayden Heath scored a further brace and Sam Hirst capped a fine performance with the winning try.

Rugeley 2nd XV 12 Leek 3rd XV 33

LEEK Thirds travelled to Rugeley on Saturday and due to work commitments only managed to take 12 players.

With Rugeley donating three spare players, the teams were evenly matched. However, Leek had the worst of starts as the first phase of play saw Rugeley’s winger collect a high ball and run in under the post for the simplest of tries, followed by a conversion.

If Rugeley thought this was going to be their day, Leek had other ideas.

Although short on numbers, the visitors were able to call on the highly experienced Luke Grainger, who within five minutes of the restart made a powerful run and evaded several tackle attempts to touch down under the posts. Hicks added the extras.

Grainger was again on hand to score an almost identical try, which was again converted, to enable Leek to relax and start enjoying the game.

With Grainger having the run of things in the middle of the park, another breakaway by that player saw him pulled up 15 metres from the line – but a good shadowing run by Hicks saw him collect the offload and go over for Leek’s third try, and also drop kick the conversion.

Another try from man-ofthe- match Grainger enabled Leek to go in 7-21 up at half time.

The second half saw Rugeley in more determined mood, and the home side were rewarded when their centre went over in the far corner – however, the extras were not taken.

Leek soon regained the majority of the play and good support play allowed young Tom Fairhurst to grab his second try of the season.

The extras for the conversion were taken and Leek led 12-28.

Leek kept on pressing and were rewarded with a final five points when the experienced Tom Kerr crossed over the line.

The conversion was missed but at this stage of the game Rugeley had little chance of salvaging the game.

On Saturday, Leek entertain top of the table Cannock seconds, in what could be the decider of who wins the league.

All players available to play should meet at F Ball Park at 1pm.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters