Login Register

Police have charged the man who spent hours on the roof of Leek Police Station and he has been named as Timothy George Walker

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: April 03, 2014

Comments (0)

The man who spent hours on the roof of a police station has now been charged and named.

Police have confirmed that Timothy George Walker, aged 29, was charged last night (Wednesday, April 2) by police and is set to appear at Newcastle Magistrates Court today (Thursday, April 3).

At approximately 8.35pm on Tuesday (April 1), officers responded to a man who had climbed on to the roof of the police station in Fountain Street.

A Police spokesman said on Wednesday: “The 29-year-old man was in a distressed state and refused to come down of his own accord. He threw a number of items onto the ground below.

Related content

“Specially trained officers negotiated with the man for several hours to ensure he came down safely.

“The man’s safety, and that of police officers and the wider public, was paramount throughout the incident.”

At approximately 2.15am the man was secured inside the police station. Police confirmed that the man was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage and remained in custody on Wednesday morning. He was also receiving medical treatment and support.

A number of streets were cordoned off around the station while the incident was ongoing. These included Well Street, Cross Street, Fountain Street and Earl Street. The cordons were lifted at around 3.30am.

Inspector Jon Ward, commander for Staffordshire Moorlands Local Policing Team (LPT), said: “In such situations the individual’s safety is our top priority, together with that of police officers and members of the public.

“The matter was bought to a safe conclusion and an investigation into the circumstances of what happened is now underway.”

Last night, Mr Walker was charged with three counts of criminal damage to property valued under £5,000. He was also charged with: using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour with intent to cause fear of/provoke unlawful violence.

He is due to appear at Newcastle Magistrates Court today.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters