Login Register

Plans to build 160 houses in Cheadle have been pulled

By Cheadle Post and Times  |  Posted: January 15, 2014

By Abbey Buxton

houses plans
Comments (0)

PLANS to build 160 homes in Cheadle have been pulled.

David Wilson Homes had been in the process of designing initial proposals for the development of land south of Thorley Drive in Cheadle with a residential scheme to provide in the region of 160 new homes, including affordable housing.

The company held a public exhibition of its preliminary proposals at The Bethel, Tape Street, Cheadle, in October last year and invited residents, local councillors and other interested parties to view the scheme and comment on the initial plans, prior to the submission of a full planning application.

However, in an email to Cheadle Town Council, residents and interested parties, Simon Tuffin, on behalf of David Wilson Homes, announced that the company is no longer pursuing the plans.

It states: "For your council's information the following email has been sent out to local residents and interested persons regarding land at Thorley Drive, Cheadle.

"David Wilson Homes are no longer progressing with the acquisition of the site at Thorley Drive, Cheadle, and will not be submitting a planning application."

Ward town councillors Richard Alcock and Peter Elkin are "delighted" with the news, after having serious concerns over the plans.

Mr Alcock said: "It's a very good thing that it is not going ahead because it would have led to flooding issues and extra traffic and congestion in the area if these houses were built."

Mr Elkin added: "I'm absolutely delighted, it is wonderful news that they are not progressing with this and I'm so relieved.

"It was one of the most awful plans that you could ever wish to see.

"There are already three housing estates up there to start with."

"The access would have been on a dangerous site entrance, and there is the flooding aspect, which with all the rain we've been having recently has already been causing immense problems on Thorley Drive playing fields as it is.

"I can only imagine the state of things if they had gone ahead with these plans.

"There is also the traffic aspect, which is already a nightmare and an awful state of affairs."

Cheadle town mayor councillor Ian Plant said: "The council was very concerned about these plans, as were many residents, so I'm pleased to see that the company has decided not to go ahead with its proposals."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR