Families looking for fun things to do in the national park this summer are being encouraged to try some of the exciting events the Peak District learning and discovery team has planned for them.
Inspired by the Tour de France's visit to the national park, the team is offering cycle activity trails from cycle hire centres at Ashbourne and Parsley Hay.
Families can take to the traffic-free trail from Ashbourne to pedal from Town to Tissington tomorrow (Thursday, July 31) or Saturday August 23, or explore the Tour de Peak from Parsley Hay on Sunday August 17. For anyone with energy spare after the rides there will be craft and wildlife activities back at base.
Family and community leader Paul Maddox said: "These cycling events are brilliant for everyone in the family to enjoy the Peak District's wonderful countryside and particularly for encouraging youngsters to take an interest in wildlife and the environment."
For families visiting two of the national park's beautiful reservoirs, the learning and discovery team are running Water from Wild Places days at Tittesworth Water, near Leek, (Tuesday 5 August and Saturday 30 August) and at Ladybower Reservoir, near Bamford (Thursday August 14, Tuesday August 19, Thursday August 28).
Paul Maddox added: "Families can join us for some watery fun in the outdoors to discover the wild places our clean water comes from and learn more about what makes these special through hands-on activities and games for all the family."
Other national park events over the summer include:
• A Miller's Dale Mini Safari on Saturday August 2.
• Discover the National Park days at Castleton Visitor Centre on Sunday August 3 and Thursday August 7.
• A Family Activity Walk on Sunday August 10, at North Lees near Hathersage, finishing up at the farm for natural craft activities and farmhouse teas.
• Wild Wednesdays throughout the holiday at the Longdendale Environmental Centre, near Tintwistle, with themes ranging from Art in the Park to Pirates and Rafts.
• A chance to explore the Magical World of Lathkill Dale on Bank Holiday Monday August 25, through a combination of art activities and photography.
• A Go Wild day with activities for older children at Macclesfield Forest on Tuesday August 26.
For further details go online to www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/events.Bookings can be made on 01629 816211.