Login Register

Heroin user Mark Langham was found dead at his Leek home by his girlfriend

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: April 10, 2014

Comments (0)

HEROIN-USER Mark Langham, aged 38, was found dead at his Leek home by his girlfriend after smoking around £40 of the drug as well as drinking lager the night before he died, an inquest heard.

His partner Carlene Hunt had struggled to wake him up before running out of their house in London Street, Leek, screaming that he was dead.

Geraldine Glennon, of nearby Haywood Street, Leek, called the police after hearing Miss Hunt’s desperate call for help.

She told an inquest into Mr Langham’s death yesterday: “Carlene was screaming, he’s dead, phone the police for help.

“She said that he had taken some heroin the night before and that she couldn’t wake him up. She said she hadn’t taken any.”

Following Mr Langham’s death on May 18 last year, neighbours told police he had been known to take drugs.

PCSO Alison Nowicki said: “I was informed that Mark had purchased drugs from two known drug dealers in Leek.

“As a result of that information, there has been an extensive police inquiry.

“The file was referred to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), but the CPS decided there was insufficient information to justify the matter going any further. The two people involved have denied matters throughout.”

The inquest at North Staffordshire Coroner’s Court heard that the former builder’s labourer had started to drink heavily after his partner had a miscarriage.

His mother Jennifer Langham, of Dalegarth Grove, Lightwood, said: “About 16 months before he died, Carly had a miscarriage and his alcohol intake increased. He drank more when he was with her and they both drank on a regular basis.

“On May 5, I went to Leek to drop off his birthday presents. He seemed fine and was his normal self.

“I didn’t speak to him on his birthday, I just sent him a text. That day was the last time I saw him alive.”

She added: “Mark was not a drug addict. He only ever took heroin three times in 2013 and never before.”

Toxicology tests found Mr Langham had a ’moderate’ amount of alcohol in his blood and traces of heroin.

His cause of death was recorded as morphine and amphetamine toxicity.

Assistant coroner Anthony Curzon said: “It seems Mark was not a regular user of heroin and the findings do tend to support that.

“He was found lying on his back at his home address.

“He had been found on the floor and had been pushed by his partner as she tried to wake him. He had been drinking a large volume of lager and had smoked some heroin.

“I can only record a conclusion that drugs and drink are related to this death because I am satisfied that they are the cause of it.”

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES