Login Register

Leek & District Sunday League

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: March 19, 2014

Comments (0)

WATERHOUSES entertained a strong Valiant Troggs side in the J W Howson Cup to decide who went through to the quarter-finals.

A depleted Waterhouses side, who were without influential midfielder Bryan Mycock at centre half, were no match for the opposition.

Troggs took a two-goal lead into half time through Mike Keates, after only eight minutes, and Josh Johnson on 22 minutes.

Although Troggs made 3-0 only two minutes into the second half – thanks to Mitch Cartlidge – Waterhouses mounted a comeback.

Jake Binns hit the post and Daniel Buxton was quickest to react to pull a goal back for Waterhouses.

Inspired by this, Waterhouses continued to push forward and were rewarded for their efforts when Andrew Barleyman raced through to coolly beat the goalkeeper.

At this point, Troggs were under constant threat from wave after wave of Waterhouses attacks – but their defence held firm and they restored their margin on the counter-attack through Mitch Cartlidge to settle the tie.

As a result, Troggs now meet Leek Snooker Centre in the quarter-finals and Waterhouses travel to Railway Inn in the quarter-finals of the Leek Shield.

The quarter final of the Leek Shield saw Wellington drawn against pub team mates Wellington United, with the victors progressing to the semi-final stage to face Biddulph Town Diamonds away.

In an 11-goal thriller, it was Wellington who ran out eventual winners, narrowly beating United 6-5.

Wellington started off the brighter of the two teams, as Erol Nazli netted twice for Wellington within 20 minutes.

But just as Wellington were looking comfortable, a moment of madness from their goalkeeper Nick Webster saw him sent off after bringing down Adam Taylor inside the box. Taylor stepped up and comfortably beat Wellington's stand-in keeper to reduce the deficit.

United scored two more goals before half-time through Ricky Barr and Josh Atkins.

The second half saw two quick goals from Lawrence Hagan, one a remarkable effort struck from the halfway line.

Hagan got his hat-trick on 70 minutes to make it 5-3, but United front man Taylor quickly reduced the deficit with his second goal of the game.

Not to be outdone, Hagan got a fourth goal with only 10 minutes to go – but United continued to push forward and Atkins got his second to make it 6-5.

In Group A of the Subsidiary Cup, it was down to assistant manager manager Gordon Potts to safely navigate Biddulph past Leek Snooker Centre through to the semi finals.

Biddulph opened the scoring through Jake Faulkner seven minutes before the break.

Snooker Centre rallied and equalised after 74 minutes through Lee Bailey.

The closing 16 minutes saw both teams continue to seek the winning goal – but it remained 1-1 at full-time.

The draw means Biddulph definitely qualify as either winners or runners-up.

Snooker Centre can still go top if they beat Wellington by five clear goals, and Wellington can still finish second if they beat both Snooker Centre and Vale Hoppers.

In the league, Tony Hulse put Hare & Gate Strollers ahead after only four minutes at home to Railway.

Hulse then added a second six minutes later, as he reacted quickly to strike a loose ball.

Strollers went further ahead through recent signing Ryan Sillitoe after 39 minutes.

The second half saw Railway make a change with player/manager Simon Booth going in goal.

Lee Tawn got a goal back for Railway six minutes into the second half, scoring direct from a corner.

Railway kept pushing for another but struggled to create any clear-cut chances and Booth made a great save to keep it at 3-1.

This was a nice warm up game for the up and coming Subsidiary Cup fixture that sees these two teams battle it out for a place in the semi-finals.

Elmo's Celtic faced their toughest challenge in the league this season against a strong Valiant.

Elmo's took the lead after 20 minutes from a superb free kick taken by Jamie Pointon.

Ten minutes before half-time, Elmo's went further ahead through skipper Drew Bennett, with a thunderous header.

Valiant staged a determined fightback in the second half and pulled a goal back through through Jamie Pope.

Inspired by this, Valiant continued to pressurise but Elmo's hung on for a vital victory.

Club secretary Tom Bourne said: "It's been an amazing week, winning the much-coveted Staffordshire Sunday Premier Cup and following up with this solid performance in the league against a strong Valiant side."


J W Howson Cup


Elmo's Celtic v Dyers Arms.


Hare & Gate Strollers v Valiant.

League Shield quarter-final

Railway Inn v Waterhouses.

Subsidiary Cup

Vale Hoppers v Wellington.


Leek Snooker Centre v Biddulph Town Diamonds; Valiant

Troggs v Wellington United

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters