Login Register

Leek Rugby

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: February 19, 2014

Rugby ball
Comments (0)

LEEK were spared a wasted journey into Birmingham to face Camp Hill in Midlands Two West (North) on Saturday, thanks to an early pitch inspection.

The postponement was consistent with the rest of the league fixtures which were all washed out.

Leek, together with rivals Bridgnorth and Aston Old Edwardians, have been fortunate to complete 16 league matches to date, leaving just six to play.

But the rest of the teams face playing catch-up; in particular Wolverhampton, who have played only 12 games so far.

The weather is certainly going to play its part as the season reaches its climax and is further complicated by Leek's cup exploits.

This Saturday, Leek will attempt to play their postponed Midlands Intermediate Cup semi-final at Newbold-on-Avon.

The incentive is massive, with a home date against Bridgnorth in the final on March 15 at stake.

Bridgnorth beat Leighton Buzzard in their semi-final.

A coach has been arranged for Saturday's trip to Warwickshire. Anyone wishing to book a seat should call Mark Hardern or John McDermott. The cost is £10 and the coach will leave the clubhouse at 10am.

The next league match for Leek couldn't be tougher, as they entertain Crewe and Nantwich at Esterchem Park on Saturday, March 1.

This is another huge contest, with the Cheshire side lying immediately below Leek in the table with a game in hand.

The earlier game at Crewe was an epic contest, with Leek just edging their rivals.

Leek are still also in the Staffordshire Cup, following their quarter final win against Burton.

Next up, in the semi-final, are Lichfield, run away leaders of Midlands West One.

Leek have the advantage of a home draw and it looks like the game will have to be played in midweek because both sides have league commitments.

It will be the first competitive match to be played under Leek's new floodlights, which were installed at the beginning of the season.

Leek 2nds 7 Rugeley 1sts 12

CLUB coach Ian Gittens was on hand to observe some of Leek's potential first team players and also assess the fitness of firsts regulars Shane Dicker and Dan Needham, who were returning after injury.

Staffordshire University player Paul O'Dell, who normally plays flanker in his homeland of New Zealand, was at full back.

Promising Reece Milner, son of first-teamer Jason, was on the right wing.

Ben Smith was at outside centre and partnered returning inside back Dicker, who has spent several months recovering from a knee injury.

Isaac Reaney, the Kings School Macclesfield 2nd XV captain was at fly half and Needham made his return at scrum half.

Dan Cooper, performance analyst with the England Sevens team, was home after his latest trip abroad and played prop next to his brother and skipper Joe at hooker. Andy Meredith made up the front row.

Phil Tomczak, a first year rugby player for Leek, was at lock with Simon Rollason and Neil Edge was at no 8.

Adam Smith, a convert from wing, was at blindside flank and Andy Thompson, who made his first team debut at Stafford early in the season, played his fifth comeback game at open side.

Tom Laverick was on the bench and his skills in the past for the first team meant the speedy winger was an able replacement.

On 10 minutes, Leek had to touch down behind their own posts and from the ensuing next scrum, Rugeley shoved the Leek pack over their own line and scored a try, which was converted.

Leek came out strongly in the second half and started to ruck the bigger Rugeley pack.

The ball was passed to the right wing where Shane Dicker burst though the defence and score a deserved try within two minutes of the resumption.

Isaac Reaney missed the conversion but at 5-7, it was anyone's game.

Rugeley replied after 55 minutes when good handling and an overlap on the right saw the wing score a good try, but the conversion was missed.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters