THE mother of a woman who died due to being dependant on drugs is appealing to youngsters not to get involved with illegal substances.
Jeanette Kettrick, pictured, aged 39, of Carlton Terrace, Leek, died on June 21 last year at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire after being admitted with breathing problems.
Members of her family heard, at an inquest on Monday at North Staffordshire Coroner’s Court at Hartshill, that Jeanette had died of “opioid and diazepam toxicity with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease”.
She had a long history of taking illegal substances, including Class A drugs, since being a teenager.
At the time of her death she had been on a Methadone programme to try and get off the illegal drugs.
However, assistant coroner Margaret Jones told the hearing that evidence showed that she had taken a Class A drug at some point before she died.
Mrs Jones recorded that Jeanette had died “as a result of being dependant on drugs”.
Jeanette's mum, Joyce Williams, who was at the inquest, later told the Post & Times: “I have lost my daughter to drugs.
“She was a very happy child but drugs certainly change people’s lives.
“Drugs absolutely ruin the lives of those taking them, and also splits families apart.
“I would definitely appeal to youngsters to not get involved in drugs. It's not very nice to be on drugs.
"I do see that it is too easy for people to get hold of drugs.
“This is because it's easy money for the drug dealers.
"Jeanette did go to hospital several times to try and come off the drugs, but each time she came out of hospital the social Piranhas would be there waiting to pounce.
“These people call themselves your friends but they only want to make a quick buck on selling you drugs.”
Jeanette's partner Peter Leese died suddenly four years previously of an adult version of ‘cot death’, and six weeks before her own death, Jeanette’s dog, Nipper, had to be put to sleep because of tumours.
Joyce, who has two other daughters, said: “I still believe in my heart that Jeanette died of a broken heart. I think she just gave up after losing Peter four years before and then her little dog Nipper. I think she basically gave up.
“I am just happy that no-one else was involved and that it was not suicide. Not for one minute did I think it was suicide.”