Login Register

Leek and District Sunday Football League

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: September 03, 2014

Comments (0)

Leek League

THE NEW season kicked off with teams competing against each other in a Super League, before splitting into two divisions based on positioning.

The Leek League has welcomed two Macclesfield teams, the Golden Lion and Railway View, following the folding of their local league.

Last season's Premier Division champions, Elmos Celtic, opened with a home game against last season's Division One champions and Leek Shield winners The Railway Inn.

Related content

Elmos picked up from where they left off, and hit their opponents for six.

Jimmy McMullen started the ball rolling after just 11 minutes and Jamie Pointon added to the scoreline three minutes later.

Railway tried to contain Elmos but to no avail, as Pointon scored another two goals to complete his hat-trick. Mitch Shenton added a brace to make it 6-0.

Last season's Premier Division runners-up, Valiant, played hosts to league newcomers Railway View and took all three points.

Star striker Tony Hulse marked his return to the Valiant team by scoring twice in the first half.

The second half saw Joel Dawson and Lee McNicholas extend Valiant's lead before Railway grabbed a consolation goal.

Waterhouses were in confident mood playing host to Dyers Arms FC, having strengthened their team from last season with the acquisition of midfielder Matt Gillman.

This was a close game, which saw both teams cancelling each other out in the opening period..

The second half saw Waterhouses start the brighter of the two, and they took the lead after a well-worked move saw Matt Gillman smash the ball home, beating the Dyers keeper.

Dyers manager Dan Johnson quickly made a few changes, both in personnel and tactics, in an effort to get back on level terms.

His efforts were was rewarded when his side were awarded a penalty. Richard Hambleton saw his spot kick saved by Andrew Chadwick, but Hambleton reacted the quickest to the rebound to equalise.

Newcomers AFC Elmos took on Biddulph Town Diamonds, who gave them a run for their money.

There was no score at half-time but Stuart Robinson broke the deadlock after the break to earn Elmos the points.

Golden Lion (Macclesfield) also started their first season with six goals, this time against Breaks FC.

Vale Hoppers faced a tough first game against a rampant Valiant Troggs, who hammered them 14-1.

All the damage had been done before the break as Dan Lawlor and Edwin Ellis netted, together with a hat trick from Mike Keates and a brace from young Jack Keeling.

Hoppers got a consolation goal through influential midfielder Gary Barnes but at 7-1 the game was all but won.

Troggs were just as ruthless in the second half as they helped themselves to another seven goals without reply.

Keates got a fourth goal and there were further strikes from Pete Bassett and Josh Smith, plus four more goals from Ellis, to take his total for the game to an amazing five.


Super League

Waterhouses 1 Dyers Arms FC 1; Golden Lion 6 Breaks FC 1; Elmos Celtic 6 Railway Inn 0; Vale Hoppers 1 Valiant Troggs 14; AFC Elmos 1 Biddulph Town Diamonds 0; Valiant 4 Railway View 1.


Super League

Elmos Celtic v Vale Hoppers (Chris Large); Breaks FC v Valiant Troggs (Dave Critchlow); Railway Inn v Waterhouses (Nigel Poole); Valiant v Golden Lion (Anthony Knight); AFC Elmos v Dyers Arms FC (Ant Roden); Railway View v Biddulph Town Diamonds (Charlie Stevenson).

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters