Login Register

Leek and District Sunday Football League

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: May 14, 2014

  • Wellington's Ashley Hoolley (white strip) is challnged by Waterhouses Daniel Buxton during Friday night's Leek and District Sunday League Subsidiary Cup final played at Harrison Park.

  • Adrain Machin, proprietor of Rogers Barber Shops, sponsors of the Subsidiary Cup competition, presents the trophy to Waterhouses captain Bryan Mycock, and midfielder Andrew Barleyman.

  • A charity match is being hosted in aid of the Love4Leah fund. Pictured is Leah.

Comments (0)

TUESDAY night saw Railway Inn face a tricky game away to Waterhouses, with the latter requiring a win to go level on points with their opponents at the top of Division One.

On the other hand a win for Railway would see them clinch the title, with one game left to play, and add to their Leek Shield success.

Waterhouses went ahead after 10 minutes through Gavin Hargreaves.

Railway pulled themselves together and got back on level terms through Ben Wild.

On 30 minutes Railway were awarded a free kick which Lee Tawn converted with the help of a deflection.

The second half saw both teams continue to create chances but neither could take advantage of them. The three points took Railway six clear at the top of the table.

Thursday night saw Valiant play hosts to unbeaten newly-crowned Premier Division champions Elmos Celtic.

Elmos once again proved too strong for Valiant with Jamie Pointon and Mat Anderson each finding the net to give them a 2-0 victory.

Elmos have just Valiant Troggs standing in their way to finish the season unbeaten in the league. Thursday night also saw the first semi-final of the Calvin Simill Cup between Leek Snooker Centre and AFC Dyers Arms.

Honours were even after their two earlier meetings. Dyers took the lead through Dan Evans after just five minutes.

Andy Graham doubled Dyers lead seven minutes later, and the score quickly became 3-0 when player manager Daniel Johnson netted from the penalty spot.

Snooker Centre bravely battled on but the score remained the same at the final whistle.

Waterhouses successfully retained the Subsidiary Cup on Friday night, when they beat Wellington 3-1 in the final played at Harrison Park. The cup holders went ahead after 18 minutes when skipper Bryan Mycock headed in from a corner.

Wellington had their chances to equalise but the score remained 1-at half-time. Eight minutes after the break Martin Hudson crossed for Jake Binns to double Waterhouses lead.

Wellington were thrown a lifeline when they were awarded a enalty, which Lawrence Hagan confidently converted.

However, hopes of a Wellington comeback were dashed when Daniel Buxton broke clear to score Waterhouses third goal.

The match of the week saw Hare & Gate Strollers and Valiant Troggs battle out a 20-goal thriller in the Premier Division on Sunday.

Troggs eventually ran out 12-8 winners, despite fielding a weakened side!


6/05/14 :

Waterhouses 1 The Railway Inn 2.



Elmos Celtic 2 Valiant 0

Calvin Simill Cup


Leek Snooker Centre 0 AFC Dyers Arms 3.


Subsidiary Cup


Waterhouses 3 Wellington 1.

11/05/12: League

Hare & Gate Strollers 8 Valiant Troggs 12; Wellington United 10 Waterhouses 2; Railway Inn 6 Leek Snooker Centre 3;




Valiant Troggs v AFC Dyers Arms (Anthony Roden)

Calvin Simill Cup

Semi- final

Waterhouses v The Railway Inn (Neil Proctor, Anthony Roden, Alex Perkin)



Valiant Troggs v Elmos Celtic (Chris Large).


Calvin Simill Final

AFC Dyers Arms v Waterhouses / The Railway Inn (Dave Critchlow, Anthony Knight, James Lockett).


Wellington v Valiant Troggs (Jack Birch).

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters