2014 is going to be quite a year to remember for iconic meat SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham, as the Monty Python boys reunite and a whole new generation gets to appreciate their favourite meat.
It’s officially SPAM® Appreciation Week from 3-9 March 2014, and no better time to remind the British public just how unique, tasty and versatile SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham really is. After all, no other meat can claim to have such an incredible 75+ year history and still be as popular to this day around the world.
In the words of Monty Python, “now for something completely different” and here’s just a few facts to show just what makes SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham stand out from the meat crowd:
· More than seven billion cans of SPAM® Products have been opened since its launch back in 1937
· They may only be islands, but Hawaii and Guam go crazy for SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham. In Aloha State more than 7 million SPAM® products are sold per year and Hawaii even hosts its own annual SPAM JAM® festival in Honolulu. While in Guam an average of 16 SPAM® products are consumed by every person per year.
· SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham is made from more than 90% prime shoulder pork and ham
· Celebrity SPAM™ Fans include James May and Heston Blumenthal
· In South Korea, SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham is considered a gourmet delicacy and is often given as a gift.
So never mind the ‘Spanish’ Inquisition, try the ‘SPAM™ish’ Inquisition, a delicious quick and easy SPAM™ish Omelette recipe to give everyone extra inspiration to get those Appreciation Week ideas flowing:
SPAM™ISH OMELETTE (serves 2 people)
200g tub or can SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham (cubed)
120g cooked potatoes - cubed
30g green and red peppers - diced
1 medium onion - sliced
1 small garlic clove - crushed
4 large eggs - beaten with a little milk
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley - finely chopped
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Use one frying pan and one (28 cm) omelette pan (not with a wooden handle)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in the frying pan, stir in the sliced onion and crushed garlic and sauté on a low heat until golden brown while stirring frequently. Then add the diced peppers and cook for a further two minutes
2. Meantime in the omelette pan, add a further tablespoon of oil and when warm sauté the cubed SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham until golden brown
3. Remove the SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham from the pan but keep it warm. Then add the potatoes to the pan and sauté until golden brown
4. Transfer all the cooked ingredients into the omelette pan. Turn up the heat and when the pan is hot pour in the beaten egg/milk mixture. Keep the egg mixture moving around the pan with a wooden spatula until it starts to set making sure the ingredients are spread out evenly
5. Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top then turn down the heat until cooked underneath and almost set on top
6. Transfer the pan to a hot grill and grill on a high temperature until the top is set and beginning to turn a nicer golden colour
The recently launched 200g tub is currently available in the UK from Tesco and Asda. 200g and 340g cans are available from all major UK supermarkets.
More details and recipes can be found at www.spam-uk.com and facebook.com/OfficialSPAMUK