Confusion over Euro hunt for Megan
Confusion reigns over how intensely the search for runaway schoolgirl Megan Stammers and her teacher was being conducted on the Continent.
Sussex police has said it was working with Interpol and the French authorities over the disappearance of the 15-year-old and 30-year-old maths teacher Jeremy Forrest.
But BBC News reported Interpol was unable to confirm it was working on the case of the missing schoolgirl from Eastbourne in East Sussex.
Neither she nor Mr Forrest has a profile on the crime agency's website, www.interpol.int, under its "yellow notices" section which "help locate missing persons, often minors, or to help identify persons who are unable to identify themselves".
Mr Forrest is also not listed on the website under its "red notices", profiles used "to seek the location and arrest of wanted persons with a view to extradition or similar lawful action".
Sky News reported a French prosecutor saying Mr Forrest was not facing arrest if the pair are found as their disappearance is not being treated as a criminal investigation but as a less serious missing persons inquiry.
The Europe-wide search for the pair has failed to uncover any confirmed new sightings, six days after they fled to the Continent.
Former Interpol officer Ismail Seck told the BBC: "Usually in cases like this the first week is very critical. I understand tomorrow is a week since them (going) missing was reported so we are getting into a critical state now."
The last confirmed sighting of Megan and Forrest - who taught maths at Bishop Bell C of E School in Eastbourne, East Sussex - was from CCTV cameras on board a Dover to Calais ferry at 9.30pm last Thursday.
The force refused to be drawn on whether they have evidence of them using cash cards or ATM machines, and there has been no comment on whether mobile phone cell site analysis has yielded any leads. Police have previously said that although Megan and Forrest entered France, they could be further afield now.