Login Register

Leek Hockey Club under-14 boys team capped off a great season with their second consecutive tournament win, lifting Cannock's Chase Park Cup.

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: June 18, 2014

Comments (0)


LEEK'S under-14 boys team capped off a great season with their second consecutive tournament win, lifting Cannock's Chase Park Cup.

After narrowly missing out on reaching the national 11-a-side finals, the boys had finished runners-up at Burton's seven-a-side tournament and then won the Ashby 'sevens', so they arrived at Cannock in confident mood.  

With several regular players unavailable, the Leek squad was bolstered by three new recruits, all of whom more than contributed to the team's success. In the opening game against Streetly, Leek started slowly and fell behind to a well-struck shot towards the end of the first-half.  

Related content

Leek pushed for the equaliser and were thwarted until the last minute, when a series of fouls led to a short corner and a well-worked routine saw Keiran Smith slot home.

Next up were Wednesbury, and despite some initial resistance, Dexter Hammonds broke the deadlock with a lifted drive before Charlie Thackstone added a second.  

Connor Ball, making his debut, scored the third goal and then Smith and Elliot Hammonds added further goals to wrap up a 5-0 win.

Leek then faced hosts Cannock, who were fielding a strong side and had earlier also drawn against Streetly.  

Cannock dominated the game and the Leek defence faced a barrage of attacks, but they held firm.

Ben Cluthe lifted his game in response to the threat and Adam Knott produced a competent display in goal.

Leek's resolute defending enabled them to hit Cannock on the break. Early in the second half, one of these breaks led to Ball scoring his second goal of the day.  

Leek then weathered a 15-minute storm, aided by the woodwork, to clinch the match 1-0.

Leek went into their final game needing a win to be sure of the title, and put West Brom to sword.  Smith opened the scoring, Thackstone added a second and then another Smith strike gave Leek a 3-0 half-time lead.  

Dan Lomax struck a shot towards the far post and a deflection wrong-footed the keeper, sending the ball inside the near post for Leek's fourth. 

Will Graham then smashed a reverse-stick shot into the West Brom goal for an amazing goal on his debut.

Smith completed his hat-trick to make it six before a drive from Callum Bell from just inside the West Brom half was helped into the goal by the Black Country keeper.  

Joe Knott finished off the scoring and Leek saw the game out 8-0.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters