Login Register

Firefighters called to kitchen fire at hospital

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: January 13, 2014

By Leslie Jackson

Comments (0)

PATIENTS had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a hospital ward.

Firefighters were called to the John Munroe Hospital in Rudyard, which provides psychiatric care, at around 4pm on Sunday following reports of a kitchen fire.

Staff took the decision to evacuate the patients on the affected ward after it began to become smoke-logged, before calling the emergency services.

Firefighters from Leek attended the incident although the fire was out on arrival.

The fire had started in an oven which was in use at the time.

Leek Fire Station watch manager Ant Ball said: “The fire was already out when we arrived but the whole ward was smoke logged.

“We helped to ventilate the area and check the appliance was safe before we left the scene around 4.30pm.

“Kitchen fires are very common so we would urge people to be careful when cooking and keep an eye on appliances when in use.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR