Login Register

Double defeat halts Leek’s progress in league

By MIG: Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: October 02, 2013

Comments (0)



LEEK’S dream start to the new season in the national league was halted by a nightmare double trouncing at the weekend.

A 5-2 home defeat by Oulton & West Warwicks in Conference North was followed by a 7-1 loss at Cannock in the national cup competition the next day.

Leek were expected to find it difficult to contain Premiership Cannock’s star-studded side.

However, Leek remain third in the league table only three points adrift of leaders University of Durham and Bowdon in second place.

Leek 1sts 2 Olton 1sts 5 The visitors grabbed the lead after only three minutes from a penalty corner and went two up from close range from fast paced counter attack.

Olton continued to carry a real threat on the break and went 3-0 ahead from their second penalty corner.

Paul Dawson missed a glorious opportunity to reduce the deficit for Leek from what should have been a simple tap-in.

Olton steadied themselves and then added the fourth goal in just the fourth minute of the second half.

Determined to not roll over Leek attacked and attacked and from a training ground move Dan O’Neil forced the ball home.

White showed his current good form from penalty corners when he fired the ball home to make it 4-2.

Leek took risks in attempting to further reduce the scoreline and Olton took advantage to score a fifth goal.

Leek now face the long trip to Durham knowing that the early table topping side will be a stern challenge.

Leek 2nds 4 Stone 1sts 3 Leek registered their fourth win since the opening day of the pre-season.

They couldn't have wished for a better start after finding the net twice in the first 20 minutes with goals from Nathan Smith and Ben Knight.

Stone converted late in the first half leaving the score at 2-1 going in to the interval.

Despite Stone's a lack of chances they restored parity 10 minutes after the restart.

But the scores would only remain level for five minutes before Josh Sherwani to put Leek back in the lead.

The goals kept on coming and soon after Leek restored a two-goal cushion as Nathan Smith found the far corner with a perfectly executed drive.

Stone found the net late on but it proved scant consolation.

Leek 5ths Stone 4ths 2 Two goals from Phil Davis, and one each from Jules Brooks and Derek Paterson gave Leek 5ths a hard earned victory.

Leek 7ths 2 Belper 8ths 1 Belper only had eight players and so Leek loaned them several of their own.

Leek's opening goal came from Oliver Watson after a goalmouth scramble.

A close range undercut shot produced a brilliant reaction save by Leek keeper Adam Knot.

Belper pulled a goal back late into the game, but Leek held on for their first victory.

Stone Badgers 1 Leek Badgers 1 After three consecutive 2-0 defeats, Leek came close to winning their first game of the season.

For the second time this season, Leek provided the opposition with players to ensure the sides were even.

Patrick Burnett, through for a one-on-one with the Stone keeper, coolly tconverted his first Leek goal.

Stone switched their goalkeepers at half-time and this proved to be the difference, with the newcomer making a number of top class saves.

As the second half went on, Leek's young players tired and despite some robust defending Stone grabbed an equaliser.


Leek Ladies 1sts 2 Shrewsbury 4 Leek Ladies started brightly against a strong Shrewsbury team and were unlucky to not take an early lead.

Shrewsbury came back into the game and managed to get a goal, in spite of Leek’s strong defending.

However soon after, Hazel Mycock levelled the scoreboard, linking up with Lauren Ferns and finishing with a precise reverse stick shot.

But desite Leek continuing to work hard and put pressure on the Shrewsbury defence, the opposition managed to score two more goals.

Leek gave themselves hope through a well worked corner, for Mycock to score her second.

However, Shrewsbury managed to steal another goal before the final whistle.

Tamworth 2nds 3 Leek 2nds 4 Leek started the game well and soon went 1-0 up with a well taken goal from Bev Cartlidge.

Kate Jones made it 2-0 by putting the ball through the keepers legs.

Tamworth scored twice and the away team found themselves wondering how they had gone into half- time 2-2.

Leek started the second half strongly with Sami Cope and Nik Lockett playing some good hockey in the centre.

Tamworth scored again to make it 3-2 in their favour.

However, Jones found the net again for Leek and with one minute to go she completed her hat-trick.

Leek Ladies 3rds 0 Uttoxeter 3rds 4 Leek conceded two goals before half time and, despite the best efforts of the defence, conceded two more in the second half.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters