Login Register

Cheadle fight back to win pulsating clash

By Cheadle Post and Times  |  Posted: September 04, 2014

Cheadle Town's Sam Gavin (red shirt) on the ball.

Comments (0)

Cheadle Town 4 Newcastle Town 3

CHEADLE Town staged a dramatic recovery to come from 3-0 down to win this pulsating clash at Thorley Drive on Saturday.

The hosts were bolstered by a 2-0 win at Brereton Social in midweek, where strikes from Jake Perks and Adam Cartlidge earned them their first maximum points of the season.

Cheadle Town welcomed new signing Adam Coulston, from Norton United, for the visit of Newcastle.

Related content

Coulston was introduced to lead the attack, allowing Adam Cartlidge to take up his usual defensive position and give more balance to the team.

Newcastle, unbeaten since the first match of the season, started the match in a confident mood.

Cheadle allowed their opponents too much space and time on the ball and this allowed Newcastle to dictate most of the first half.

They deservedly took the lead in the 27th minute, when the energetic Evans Dfori netted with a low drive.

A volley from Jono Goodall sailed over the bar as Cheadle tried to get into the game, but Newcastle increased their lead in the 40th minute when Nathan Sutton drove the ball through a packed defence into the bottom of the net.

A shot from Dale Taylor at the near post saw Joe Mellor pull off a good save as Cheadle tried to reply a minute later.

Cheadle desperately needed to improve their game – but they didn't start the second half well, giving the ball away too easily in an attacking position.

Newcastle went 3-0 up after 53 minutes when Dfori ran away from Charlie Goldstraw and drove the ball across the face of goal for Issac Springett to finish.

Newcastle were now full of confidence, with smiling faces, as a desperate Cheadle looked a forlorn outfit.

However, the turning point of the game came two minutes later when an under-pressure Luke Humphries drove the ball into his own net.

Cheadle's spirits were lifted and from a corner kick in the 65th minute, Sam Gavin crossed to the far post for Paul Callear to make it 3-2 with a firm header.

The home side were now back in the game and Newcastle began to waver.

Cheadle's resurgence could be felt all around the ground, with the arrival of Jake Alcock adding strength to their forward line.

A low drive from Adam Coulston went just past the post.

Cheadle made the decisive breakthrough in the 84th minute, when Alcock and Dan Carr combined to feed Coulston for a debut goal which made it 3-3.

A minute later, a perfect cross from Goldstraw resulted in Alcock stealing the points for Cheadle with a brilliant header.

Tonight (Wednesday), Cheadle are away to Eccleshall AFC before travelling to AFC Leek Town on Saturday.

Cheadle Town: Gary Peach, Charlie Goldstraw, Adam Cartlidge, Jon Evans, Paul Callear, Rob Heath, Jono Godall, Peter Johnson, Adam Coulston, Sam Gavin, Dale Taylor, Jake Alcock, Dan Carr, Harry Smith.

Newcastle Town: Joe Mellor, Harvey Collins, Jake Stanbridge, Luke Humphries, Jake Lally, Jake Lloyd, Issac Springett, Josh Hall, Ben Matthews, Nathan Sutton, Evans Dfori, Luke Wood, Tom Clarke, Courtney Franklin.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters