THE next heritage based display to launch at the Cheadle Discovery and Visitor Centre is titled 'Football and Cricket Teams of the Cheadle Area'.
The area has a long sporting tradition, the earliest reference to football in Cheadle can be found in Robert Plant's History of Cheadle (1881), where a letter from an old resident dated 1875 is quoted, referring to events sixty years prior.
"Football was played on Shrove Tuesday in the main street of the town, when shopkeepers put up their shutters, it being held there was no remedy for broken windows on that day."
This version of football is of course Shrovetide, still played annually in Ashbourne; the earliest records of the game being played in Ashbourne date back to 1890, it is thought older records were lost in a fire.
The Cheadle Cricket Club dates back to the 1860s and first played on a field off Atlee Road owned by A S Bolton of Oakamoor.
In 1923 the team moved to the site on Tean Road, which was later brought by the club.
There will also be on display pictures of the Oakamoor Cricket Club teams dating from the early 1900s.
Football as we know it appears to have become really popular in the 1920s, when there were several different teams based in Cheadle.
Two teams made up of colliery workers were New Haden FC and Park Hall FC, Bert Whitehurst of New Haden FC would go on to play professionally for Stoke City.
The Roebuck in Brookhouses had for many years a football on display behind the bar in his honour, the earliest licensees of the Roebuck were named Whitehurst.
The display will launch on Saturday, May 3, and run through to the end of June.
If anyone has any pictures or artefacts they think may be of interest, Alan Wigley can be contacted on 01538 753519.