Login Register

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team respond to three calls for help over two days including one at Hen Cloud near The Roaches

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: August 14, 2014

The woman who fell on Hen Cloud is rescued.

Comments (0)

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team have responded to three calls for assistance over two days.

The first call was to the Monsal Trail on Monday, August 11, where the team assisted the Derbyshire, Leicestershire & Rutland Air Ambulance crew to recover a casualty.

A lady from Norfolk had fallen from her mountain bike and suffered a serious open wrist fracture.

Aircraft paramedics treated her injuries before she was placed onto a mountain rescue stretcher.

Related content

The steep limestone cliffs of Millers Dale meant that the aircraft had to land in a field more than half a kilometre away. Team members carried the stretcher uphill to the waiting helicopter and she was flown to the Chesterfield Royal Hospital for further treatment.

The following afternoon the Buxton and Edale Teams snatch squad were called to Edale, following reports of a child having fallen in the upper reaches of Grindsbrook Gorge, Kinder Scout, sustaining suspected back injuries.

The 12-year-old boy from Kent was taking part in an organised adventure holiday and was descending the gorge when he slipped on the rocks, falling about one metre and landing awkwardly.

This incident occurred in one of the most difficult locations from which to extract a casualty, with rough gritstone boulders making stretcher handling a real challenge. The steep sides of the of the gorge make the area a radio communication blackspot. Team paramedics and first aiders examined the casualty and early indications presented a back injury.

The weather was difficult at times with strong gusty winds and intermittent heavy rain on the plateau edge.

Various casualty evacuation options were considered; the only realistic one was to evacuate by stretcher.

Then began a two-and-a-half kilometre carry along the Grindsbrook Clough track which took nearly two hours to arrive at Edale.

The casualty was transferred to the waiting land ambulance and taken to the Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport, for further treatment.

Later that evening the team were called to assist the West Midlands Ambulance Service dealing with a fallen climber at Hen Cloud which is adjacent to The Roaches.

Darkness was closing in and it was raining heavily. The lady climber, local to Buxton, had fallen and sustained a suspected fractured ankle, after landing on a rocky ledge about three metres above the ground.

Treatment was provided by the ambulance service crew and a Buxton Team doctor on the ledge.

She was then strapped into a nappy rescue harness and lowered from the ledge to the ground, placed onto a mountain rescue stretcher and lowered further down the steep hillside to where the ambulance was waiting.

Her friends in the local climbing club were of great help during the incident, particularly moving heavy equipment.

The casualty was transferred to the Macclesfield General Hospital for further treatment and released in the early hours.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters