Login Register

Blues storm back with a superb win

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: February 26, 2014

HERO: Blues scorer Andy Kinsey is congratulated by his team mates.

HERO: Blues scorer Andy Kinsey is congratulated by his team mates.

Comments (0)

Evo-Stik First Division South

Bedworth United 0 Leek Town 2

A SUPERB second-half double by veteran striker Andy Kinsey consolidated Leek Town's top five status with a welcome three points at improving Bedworth at the Oval on Saturday.

Blues had won only once in their last six games whilst Bedworth had stacked up five wins in their last seven under new manager Stuart Storer – but on the day, Blues never looked like losing as they took the game to their hosts.

Due to the bad weather, Leek hadn't played for three weeks but it didn't show as they were on top for much of the game, creating chances, defending well and scoring goals.

Bedworth keeper Sheridon Martinez turned in a man-of-the-match performance with a string of outstanding saves to keep his side in the game whilst at the other end, Ben Chapman was rarely troubled throughout the game.

Blues' assistant manager Peter Ward commented after the game: "That was a workmanlike, professional performance. We kept our shape and played some good football despite the windy conditions.

"I was really pleased with the result after our enforced break due to the weather, so it was good to get back in action and get the win against a side in good form.

"They played a tight midfield, so it went to plan with us."

Leek went into the game short-handed and were forced to draft in three youngsters to cover no fewer than six absentees.

Meanwhile, Karl Espley made his debut in the middle of defence after joining the club from near-neighbours Kidsgrove Athletic earlier in the week.

Blues attacked from the whistle but John Johnston was bundled off the ball in the Bedworth box in the opening minute.

Leek hit Bedworth on the counter-attack two minutes later, with Dan Smith finding Kinsey. He lifted the ball over the home defence for Johnston, but he just over-ran the ball, giving the keeper time to claim it.

Blues attacked again in the fourth minute but this time Jordan over-ran the ball due to the fierce wind blowing from goal to goal that made control a little difficult.

Leek came close to taking the lead in the seventh minute when Jordan played a well-worked corner back to Dan Shelley, who blazed a shot on target from the edge of the box, only for Martinez to pull off a superb save to deny him.

In the 22nd minute, Shelley turned provider playing a fine ball forward for Kinsey, who held off a defender to go one-on-one with the keeper. However, Martinez pulled off a great reaction save to keep his goal in tact.

Jordan had a shot blocked in the 38th minute and then Johnston drove over following a poor clearance by Bedworth defender Marlon Walters.

A minute later, Leek were caught justifiably claiming an offside flag that never arrived leaving Daniel Dubidat clean through to swap passes with Mitchell Piggon before driving his shot over from just outside the box.

Two minutes from half time, Chad Degvile-Cross tried his luck from distance but Chapman had the effort well covered.

Blues continued to push forward after the break and a telling cross from Matt Bell caused panic in the Bedworth box, leaving defender Walters to limp off in the 49th minute.

Good interplay between Jordan and Dan Shelley resulted in a shot by Jordan but the ball flew over the crossbar.

The goal that Leek had been threatening duly arrived in the 67th minute when Bell fired a superb cross to the far post where the unmarked Kinsey chested the ball down before finding the back of the net from a tight angle.

Leek stretched their lead in the 77th minute when a lovely ball from Shelley found Johnston and he wriggled between two defenders on the edge of the box to square the ball to Kinsey in space and he simply tapped the ball home from close range.

Read more from Leek Post & Times

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters