Login Register

Ban for footie fan who set off smoke bomb

By MIG: Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: September 12, 2013

Comments (0)

A CAULDON man has been handed a four year football banning order after setting off a smoke bomb at a Premier League match.

Stoke City fan Paul Mottram was in the away end at Anfield when he ignited a canister during the second half of Stoke's opening-day defeat at Liverpool last month.

The 40-year-old of Church Lane, Cauldon, near Waterhouses, was arrested by police on suspicion of possessing a flare.

Now Mottram has been handed the UK-wide banning order after admitting the offence at North Liverpool Community Justice Centre.

Mottram was also fined £500 and ordered to pay £85 costs when he appeared in court.

Following the case, a Stoke City spokesman said: "We take incidents of this nature very seriously and fully support the issuing of a four-year banning order."

Liverpool Football Club have been campaigning to rid flares from their stadium.

But the case comes just months after Liverpool fans set off flares at the Britannia Stadium during the Potters' 3- 1 Boxing Day victory.

Following this week's case, a Merseyside Police spokesman said: "This was a dangerous incident which could have had serious consequences and the potential for serious injury at an otherwise trouble- free event.

"It is disappointing that we had to deal with an incident of this kind and this type of behaviour has no place in the modern game and will not be tolerated.

"We will continue to work closely with all of our local clubs to make matches safe and enjoyable occasions.

“But when incidents such as this occur we will work together to identify and bring to justice troublemakers, which is exactly what we have done."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR