Login Register

Action-packed clash for 2nds

By Leek Post and Times  |  Posted: December 11, 2013

Comments (0)

Men's hockey

Leek 2nds 3 Cannock 2nds 2

CANNOCK were sent tumbling in an action-packed tie at Leek High School.

Former Cannock player Richard Parker opened Leek's account, scoring against his older sibling, Paul.

Parker's goal was cancelled out by Callum Swinnerton-Ions own after 25 minutes.

Leek goalkeeper Kieron Bedford twice had to show alertness in the first half, producing two fine instinctive saves so stop the visitors taking the lead.

Baldo got forward into the Cannock D and it took a timely intervention to block his first-time effort, but there was no denying him later when he scored with a stunning drive.

Leek were caught out by Swinnerton-Ions for the second time after 53 minutes when he levelled with a reverse-stick shot.

The hosts restored their lead in the 60th minute when James Gough received an aerial ball from Weston and found the bottom corner with a low shot from 10 yards.

Leek kept Cannock at bay for the closing 10 minutes with some good defending.

Leek 2nds 8 Lichfield 2nds 4

FOLLOWING Saturday's excellent victory against Cannock, the 2nds comfortably beat Lichfield in a re-arranged fixture on Sunday.

Though Leek's play never quite reached the same high standard they never the less they scored some quality goals.

Leek 5ths 6 Beeston 5ths 3

LEEK kept their four-game winning streak with a comfortable if not uneventful game against Beeston.

After twice falling behind, they ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Jules Brooks scored Leek's opening two goals and then found himself back in goal after Neil Waterhouse's injury meant he could not continue.

Beeston missed a penalty before Dave Wright scored twice to open up Leek's lead.

Pat Maguire capped a fine performance with a clever touch from a short corner.

Andy Critchlow scored a well-deserved goal to cap another superb exhibition of fast flowing hockey.

Leek 7ths 0 Stone 4ths 2

LEEK travelled to Stone with high hopes after an excellent performance in their last league game against Old Wulfs.

The visitors started brightly in the first 10 minutes, pressuring the Stone D.

Leek had a good call for a goal by Tom Povey which was disallowed from a penalty corner.

Stone rarely pressured the Leek goal with the defence of Povey, Watson and Cluthe mopping up what chances came their way.

Stone were lucky to score first when Leek keeper Tony Cummins was unfortunate to see a spinning ball clip his kicker before going in.

Cummins redeemed himself redeemed himself with two fine saves before half-time.

In the second half the Leek midfield of Joe Cummins, Elliot Hammonds,Oliver Watson, Adam and Joe Knott continued to feed Povey and Landon up front.

Leek forced a second penalty stroke and many penalty corners but could not force that illusive goal.

A late deflected own goal brought the score to 2 - 0 in favour of Stone.

Stone could consider themselves very fortunate to run out winners of a match which saw their opponents enjoy the vast majority of possession.

Despite the result, all the Leek juniors can be very proud of how they played.

Stone 0 Leek Badgers 0

THE BADGERS created enough chances in the first half to have secured a victory.

Stone began to fight back in the second half but great defending kept them at bay.

Ladies Hockey

Leek 1sts 3 Burton 1sts 0

THINGs have developed very differently for the two teams since they drew 2-2 at the start of the season.

Burton are threatened with relegation as they sit uncomfortably at the foot of the table.

Leek, on the other hand, are in the top half of the table and were determined to take all three points from this return clash.

This determination was evident straight from the start, with Leek's Gemma Hurst scoring the first goal within the first 20 seconds. Burton first touch of the ball was picking it up out of the back of their own net.

Leek continued to dominate the game, with continuous attacking play leading to goal scoring opportunities.

Goals from Meredith and Bradbury took the half-time score comfortably to 3-0.

Leek played the second half just like the first, leaving the defence with very little to do.

This was another fantastic team performance by Leek, which delighted skipper Suzi Stubbs.

Leek go into the Christmas break 12 points clear of the relegation zone and five points off the promotion places.

Cannock 1 Leek 2nds 0

STARTING strongly, Leek maintained possession with some brilliant play from Jenny Evans in midfield.

Great runs down the wing from Sammy Cope and Caroline Evendon saw Leek putting pressure on the home defence.

However , Cannock began to hit back and forced Leek goalkeeper

Rhiannon Bedford to pull off some fine saves. But she was unable to stop the home side poaching a 1-0 interval lead.

The second half saw great midfield play from Nikki Lockett, Kirsty Sales which kept Leek battling on.

A run from Bev Cartlidge and shots from both her and Kate Jones kept the pressure on the Cannock defence.

Cannock pushed hard for another goal but great defensive play from Helen Earley, Alex Binks, Paula Gwinnett and Hattie Barnes kept them out.

Erdington 1sts 2 Leek 3rds 2

LEEK turned up to play second in the league Erdington.

The earlier meeting ended in a 2-0 victory for Erdington.

Leek arrived feeling the need to make amends with only the bare 11. They took command of the game and attacked with gusto.

The first goal came in open play with Jess Walsh scoring on rebound.

With Leek 1-0 in front they continued with their attacks and were rewarded with a short corner which was hit in with Carla Critchlow getting the scoring touch.

The second half began with Erdington pressing against tiring opposition and using their two substitutes to advantage.

They managed to score from a set-piece and soon after a second goal resulted from a scrappy tussle in the D.

Leek goalkeeper Hannah Boulton made numerous saves and there was great defending by Karen Smith, Nikki Hambleton and Caroline Stone.

Leek came close to sealing victory only to be denied by the final whistle. All in all, an inspiring game of hockey and everyone who played should be proud of their team and individual performance.

Thanks go to Paula Gwinett for umpiring and Dougie Smith for coaching from the sidelines.

Meanwhile, Leek mixed teams of under-13 boys and under-14 girls took part in the NoDe Juniors tournament.

They played three nine-a-side matches and came away with two wins and a draw against Ashbourne, Buxton and Derwent.

Leek scored seven goals in total and conceded just one..

The Leek team spirit was excellent and special mention must be made of Lottie Moss, who volunteered to make up the numbers for Ashbourne.

The Leek squad comprised: Josh Johnson, Shannon Frodsham, Josie Glass, Becky Bailey, Lottie Moss, Kim and Kay Sheldon, Ollie Astle, Lucas Barrow, Dexter Hammonds and Matt Bond.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters